Saturday, September 29, 2012

Dominican Republic vacation (part 1)

So - I am a huge procrastinator.  I know - you are all shocked right now.  I put off my blog sometimes but this time I let it get way backed up.  It was all because I was intimidated by the photos from this trip.  I personally took almost 700 photos.  Then there were the photos from Jessica, Patti & Elaine's cameras.  It was so overwhelming that I just put it off.  Until finally I realized I either need to post something or give up on this "blog" thing.  So... I decided that I need to just tackle this project - in pieces.  So here is Part 1 of our trip.

Elaine made the girls these "Flower Girl" shirts & let the girls pick where the bling would go on their shirts.  We planned it so they would be wearing these on the plane ride out to Punta Cana.

Our luggage got lost for about 24 hours & for some reason - we all packed our swimsuits on our carry-ons except for Kevin. (Kevin was even the one who packed the girls swimsuits).  Here is Kevin enjoying a drink & relaxing sans swimsuit.



The resort had these huge trampolines in the ocean for the kids only.  The girls had to have help getting onto them but then had a blast jumping around. This photo is Evalyn & Janae - with Patti, Jessica & Eric in the water.

Here is Alayna & Lana goofing off on the trampoline.

While I was relaxing on the beach, sipping a mohito, I watched this zumba class.  It was very entertaining & the instructor wasn't so bad to look at either.  :)

View from my beach chair.

This is the preferred pool that we hung out at most of the time.  It had a swim up bar & the kids had fun ordering orange juices from there.

The other end of the preferred pool - showing Mike & Gary relaxing.

We took a trip into Punta Cana one day for shopping.  Here is an example of one of the shops.

Another store - look at all those paintings - there were in EVERY shop.

The cigar shop where they rolled cigars.  All the boys got free sample cigars & Kevin thought it was funny that the store owners didn't care if he brought his lit cigar into their shops.

Here is the group after shopping, waiting for our cab.  We also had THE BEST empanadas at a local stand.  THE BEST!

Had to share a photo of the diet coke & coke bottles we drank from.  I'm sorry - Coca-Cola light.  :)  They both tasted different but were yummy.
Kevin & I at the "rehearsal" dinner.

Jessica, Heather & I - all soon to be sister-in-laws.

The "head" table at the rehearsal dinner.  We were supposed to have dinner at the Japanese Restaurant where they cooked dinner in front of you but it was one of the things that fell through for the bride & groom.  Instead they had a beautiful dinner on the balcony of the buffet.  The Japanese Restaurant sent food over that was very good.

When the dinner was going to be at the Japanese Restaurant, Ryan & Heather said that the kids wouldn't be able to join us since you had to be 12 to sit at those tables.  We planned on the kids eating with the Kids Club "teachers" & stuck with that even though the plans changed.  I ran into Lana getting her food at the buffet when I ran to the bathroom & had to take a photo.  The kids were thrilled that they were allowed to go through the buffet by themselves.

It started to rain on us so they quickly moved all the tables under the overhang for the rest of dinner - it was crowded but fun.

The boys all smoked a cigar that Ryan had picked up at our trip in town earlier that day.

One of the waiters gave Lana this napkin flower he made for her. She was very proud of it.

Suzy & Gary Guental (Heather's parents) paid for everyone to go on a 1/2 day excursion the morning of the wedding.  We took a bus ride to a catamaran (shown here).

This is the bottom of the boat & where the kids spent 95% of their time.  It was glass bottom & had these poles that the girls danced around to the music that was playing all over the boat.

We got to our first destination where we were able to snorkel & swim with nurse sharks & stingrays.  Lana got salt water in her snorkel right off the bat & then wouldn't put her face in the water (even without the snorkel) after that.

Here is Janae swimming with the fish that they were feeding from the boat.

One of the nurse sharks swimming under us.

Lana.  :)

Janae (she was an excellent snorkeler!)

Here is the professional photo they took of us. I threw Janae's hand onto the stingray for the photo & found out later that she thought it was going to sting her.  Glad she is so brave but felt bad that I didn't explain that it wouldn't hurt her beforehand.  (I explained that the nurse sharks wouldn't bother her - didn't think to mention the stingrays).

The next stop was at this cove where we were able to get out and stand (well the adults could stand).  Elaine even got off the boat!  They walked around, handing out drinks & playing music - 2 other boats docked there as well.

Our family on the boat.











Well - that's enough for this post for now - I'll blog about the wedding tomorrow!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment