Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Cake Decorating Class

Gretchen & I took a Cake Decorating class at the Kansas City Culinary Art School.  I learned a bunch of cake making tips and not as much decorating as I thought I'd get, but it was a very informative class.
We learned how to do a crumb coat on a cake & that you always ice & decorate the top of the cake first.  Here I took a picture of the top of the cake after they showed us how to get a really smooth surface with a paper towel.

Here you can see how you can transfer a pattern on a paper towel to a cake!  Then we used a placemat to practice our techniques of flowers, leaves & grass.

Gretchen, hard at work.


Me, enjoying my free glass of wine, after working hard of course!

Gretchen & her final product.

Me with my small cake.  It was fun to practice out different techniques & even more fun to eat the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment