Monday, April 30, 2012

San Diego & our first trip to Disneyland!

Over Spring Break we went to San Diego to visit my (Gwyn's) parents.  I apologize in advance for the number of photos but we visited Disneyland for the first time & it was hard to narrow down the photos!

One of the non-Disney highlights of the trip was that we let the girls go on a walk by themselves while in Ramona. They had to stay where we could see them & they took full advantage of all the trails and were in awe of the "freedom" we gave them.  I remember hiking on those trails as a kid.  :)

Of course they did go on a few walks with Nonnie (always something they request several times a day when we visit).  Nonnie pointed out Witches Broom  & gopher mounds, etc.  Lana was well-informed & pointed out all the sites when we went on a walk together toward the end of our trip.

We picked a few things in the garden - here Nonnie helps the girls find snap peas.

Papa was so excited to show off the kittens to the girls - but the kittens weren't so excited about the girls.  Guess they aren't super kid-friendly.  Here is one of them (the friendly one) hissing at Janae when she pet him.  After that we just admired the kittens from afar.  
We went on the ferris wheel at California Adventure Park.  The car was on a track that made it swing & fall when the wheel turned.  

This is the "before" photo.  Before Lana realized that she would not be enjoying this ride.  I have a "during" photo but I probably shouldn't embarrass her like that.  Let's just say she did not like this ride (or any other fast moving, crazy dropping rides)

This was one of my personal favorite rides (the other was Soaring over California - but no photos of that ride).  Here are Lana & Nonnie ready to battle in 3-D.  

I can't believe I'm including this... but here is Kevin & my scores.  Mine is the first one...  Look at my accuracy rate though... at least I have that!  :)

The girls on the Ferris Wheel (Ariel themed). 

Our family at California Adventure Park (see the Ferris Wheel in the background?)  

Papa & Nonnie with Lana & Janae - Kevin, my dad & I went on the big roller coaster!  (Janae was too short & Lana... didn't want to go).

The highlight of C.A.P. was lunch with the princesses at Ariel's Grotto.  We started out getting our photo taken with Ariel.

Then they brought 2 of these to our table (our hors d'oeuvres).  All the food was really good - not what I'd expect for a theme park.  


Then we were visited at our table by the princesses. Here is Belle talking to Lana while signing their autograph books that Nonnie bought them.  

Princess Aurora (aka - Sleeping Beauty) & Janae.

Cinderella was Janae's favorite princess.  :)

And finally Snow White.  All the princesses asked the girls what their names were & talked to them for a moment.  Lana & Janae were pretty star-struck & pretty much just answered the questions & got their autographs.  :)

Then our food came.  The meals were "Under the Sea" themed.  Lana got Cheesy "Shells" topped with Goldfish crackers.  They also got these crowns they were able to decorate with stickers - Lana wore hers much longer than Janae.  :)

Janae got Tritan's meatballs on a stick with spaghetti.

I did take photos of all our food - but just had to share the dessert plate.  Here is that plate that the 4 grownups shared (minus a few things stolen before I could snap the photo).  The girls got something similar but smaller.  We got so much food & filled our bellies!  

Here is a cute photo of the girls before we went into the Bugs Life theater to see a 3-D show.  It had great special effects including smoke & even special seats that made it feel like bugs were running underneath your rump & back!  The girls were very surprised at that one!

We waited FOREVER in line for these bumper cars.  Lana was tall enough to ride on her own & was thrilled about that.

Janae had to settle with me pushing the petals for her.

What a couple of cuties!

Here is the end of a bad ride for Lana (the 2nd mistake we made that trip).  We didn't realize that Goofy's Flying School was a roller coaster (couldn't really tell until you got on it).  Probably Nonnie had the worst time - trying to calm Lana down.  Janae of course, had a blast.

Papa & Nonnie at the end of the day at C.A.P.

Our only group shot of the trip.  This was taken at the end of the day before the Colors of the World show at California Adventure Park.  

Day 2:  We saved Disneyland for the 2nd day - thinking that it would be less busy on a Monday vs a Sunday.  Here are the girls in front of Mickey at the entrance.  

Autopia - I didn't think this was that cool of a ride & almost pressed us to skip this.  But Papa insisted on going on this ride & so we got Fast Passes & had the boys take the girls out for a spin.  I'm really glad they did because it was one of their favorite rides.  They got pretend drivers licenses and were truly able to drive the car.

Had to get a family shot in front of Sleeping Beauty's castle!

Papa wanted this photo of the girls on the throne inside the castle.  I hadn't been inside the castle in a long time.

Here the girls are in front of one of my favorite classic Disneyland rides, It's a Small World.  Papa opted out of this ride - I think he's not a fan of the song that get stuck in your head.  ;)

Janae went on every roller coaster she could (some more than once).  This was her first REAL roller coaster - Space Mountain - but it was probably her least favorite (a little too scary - and way darker than I remember, they've obviously done some remodeling on that one).  I think if it wasn't in the dark - she would've enjoyed it immensely.  (of course if you asked her - she loved it - but she didn't ask to "go again" like all the other ones).  

While we went on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (twice for Janae & I), Lana & Nonnie went on the Mark Twain Steamboat.  Lana had a really good time & it was just her speed - slow.

I didn't like roller coasters as a kid - but I LOVED the tea cups.  Thankfully, so did Lana & Janae (although they did have us slow it down at one point). 

Our last stop of the day (besides the train to Main Street, the parade & the gift shop) was Toon Town.  This was new when I was in High School & it was so fun to see it all from a kid's perspective.  they had lots of fun with all the "props" and sound effects. 

On the last day there - my mom had to work but my dad took us all on a hike before we had to head out to the airport.  I loved this shot of Papa with his grandaughters.

What a view!

We had such a great trip.  Got to visit with my Great-Aunt Jackie & her kids and see lots of old friends in Ramona.  Wish we were able to make it out there more often than once a year.  Sorry it took me so long to post this - I think I knew how many pictures we took & was procrastinating (who me?).  

No comments:

Post a Comment