Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Short hair rules the Dill house

Lana had been complaining lately every time I brushed her hair in the morning & when she came home from school her hair was again all knotted, etc.  She didn't really like ponytails because she said they hurt going in & coming back out so I told her we should probably get her hair cut.  Janae heard that & said she wanted to get hers cut too.  So I scheduled the appointments.  Lana's was to be on a Thursday when Janae was at dance class & Janae was on a Friday afternoon.  Right after scheduling Lana's appointment she decided she wanted a pixie hair cut.  She had seen a photo of me with short hair in 3rd grade & I commented that I didn't like my haircut then because someone thought I was Gretchen's brother.  (I always had short hair as a kid - just there was a period where it was shorter than normal & that comment stuck with me).  I was resistant at first to Lana getting her hair cut so short but after talking with her for a while (discussing that short hair takes a while to grow out & that not a lot of little girls have really short hair - which is actually a winning point in Lana's book), we decided it was just hair & she could go for it.  We found a few photos online that she liked & took them with us to our appointment.

Her before picture.  I think this might be the longest Lana's hair has ever been.  (Looks really pretty after just being brushed).

Cutting off the ponytail.  I didn't notice the stylist in the background (her expression) until I posted these pictures on facebook & they brought her face up & asked me to tag her.  :)

The final hairstyle with the old ponytail in hand.

The back.  She has some wave to her hair & this style is really easy in the morning for her.  She showered every night & goes to bed with wet hair.  I think the wave in her hair allows her hair to have that messy, stylish look without looking like something is out of place.

After Lana came home with super short hair, Janae saw it & wanted her hair the same way.  I wasn't sure if she had thought this through very much so was a little hesitant to say "yes" but after talking to Janae for a bit - we did the same process of looking up cuts online before her appointment.

 Janae's before shot.
The pony cut.  (This was requested by Janae - we were concerned she wouldn't have enough hair to do it but Kacy made it work). :)


Kacy always starts on the back first (I think that's pretty normal) but Janae kept asking when she was going to cut the front.  
 One super happy Janae with her ponytail in hand.  Her hair has some volume to it but is straight.  She has this cowlick in the back that has to be wet down every morning but I just do their hair while they eat breakfast.



Hair time in the morning is definitely easier.  Lana's is the easiest but Janae's just takes a minute longer.  We have swim lessons this afternoon & I know at least Lana is looking forward to no ponytail!

1 comment:

  1. I am always amazed at Lana's confidence! I love that she likes to be different at an age when most girls want to follow the pack! Your girls look adorable, of course!!!

    ReplyDelete